The Swedenborg Symposium intents to bring Emanuel Swedenborg's ideas under
the attention of a broad public. The theme is: Swedenborg
is a reliable source! The participants want to correct a number of broadly
spread misunderstandings concerning Swedenborg, and want to explain
about the intentions of the
Program on May 6th:
Program on Sunday 7 May 2006.
Swedenborg symposium takes place on
To be certain of a seat, reservations can be made via firstname.lastname@example.org. The price for participation is €10 per person. For the participants coffee and tea are free. During the pause from 13.00 till 14.00 there is a simple lunch available at €5.
More about the theme and the lecturers:
1. Dr Daniël van Egmond is a philosopher and scientist of religion. He promotes the realignment of religion and meditation in our culture. Daniel is also a member of the Swedenborg Genootschap and a fine friend when it comes to promoting Swedenborgian ideas in new age circles and students. He has a strong New Church opinion about the question: Was Swedenborg a mystic?
2. Mr Robert Lemm will use the symposium to present his new book about Swedenborg's place in world-literature. Robert has written a number of books on the history of religion - several award winning titles you may find when you 'Google' for his name. He is a fine scholar too, f.i. he translated Jorge L. Borges' works from Spanish into Dutch - he also contributed to the 1994 symposium. An important statement in the introduction of his new book is: "Swedenborg reveals what was concealed by the churches."
3. Prof Dr Hans Gerding is active as professor in philosophy and theosophy at the University of Leiden. He is also the director of the Dutch Institute for Parapsychology in Utrecht. He wrote his doctrinal thesis on Kant versus Swedenborg. Hans' lectue is about: Immanuel Kant's ambivalent relation with Emanuel Swedenborg.
4. Dr. Rutger Perizonius is the editor of the English magazine 'De Hemelse Leer', in which the internal sense of the Writings is the central theme. His lecture is adapted to listeners who know little about the New Church and it's various branches. Rutger will try to explain how the various opinions about the status of Swedenborg's Writings ultimately have lead to the opinion that they are the Word of God especially revealed for the present day man of the post Last Judgment era. Several doctrinal consequences of this opinion will be discussed.
5. Rev. Dushan Sever is pastor of The Lord's New Church which is Nova Hierosolyma in Philadelphia USA. In the epilogue on this symposium day he will speak about the growth of the Church in man. Dushan will also deliver a sermon on this theme on Sunday. A Dutch translation will be made available for those attending.
6. My person will host the event, present a biographical scetch at the start of the symposium and coordinate the logistics and publicity.
Sincerely, Guus Janssens - email@example.com